Oscars Cut Cancer-Stricken Boy From Broadcast
He's the little boy who won hearts across the world when his dream to become a superhero came true. Thousands of people watched in delight as the city of San Francisco came to a halt to watch the leukemia patient battle bad guys.
But we're now learning that another dream was quashed when Batkid was snubbed at the Oscars.
Five-year-old Miles Scott was supposed to appear with Spiderman's Andrew Garfield right after that montage celebrating heroes of the movies. There was even a Gotham-like set for Batkid. But right before the big show Sunday night, the segment was abruptly canceled.
The Academy said in a statement, "Due to the nature of a live show, hard decisions sometimes must be made which require the Academy to cut segments."
Batkid was ready to put on his little tuxedo and head to the Dolby Theatre with his parents. But the morning of the Oscars they were informed that he had been bounced from the show. Instead, they were treated to a day at Disneyland.
Rebecca Ford of The Hollywood Reporter told INSIDE EDITION, "Batkid's story was huge news and he touched a lot of hearts, so obviously a lot of people are disappointed that he didn't make it into the show. But that's just the nature of this business and sometimes things have to be cut at the last minute."
But the New York Post reports the segment was canceled after Andrew Garfield threw a hissyfit.
"Garfield refused to go by the script. He came up with his own lines. The producers felt that Garfield's [rewrites] were not appropriate," a source was quoted as saying.
No word yet from Andrew Garfield, longtime boyfriend of his Spiderman co-star Emma Stone.
The Academy rushed to the actor's defense, saying he's really a good guy who "drove to Disneyland to spend time with" Batkid.