Headlines

9-Month-Old Horribly Burned by Scalding Water From Garden Hose: 'It's Heartbreaking'


9-Month-Old Horribly Burned by Scalding Water From Garden Hose: 'It's Heartbreaking' Little Nicholas Woodger suffered serious burns from scalding water coming from garden hose. (KPHO-TV)

Arizona mother Dominique Woodger said it never occurred to her that the water coming from her outdoor water hose could scald her 9-month-old son.

She sprayed her son Nicholas with the hose  not knowing the water was extremely hot — as she filled his kiddie pool, CBS affiliate KPHO-TV reported.

Read: Birth Mom Raises Baby With Rare Genetic Condition After She's Abandoned by Adoptive Family

The child suffered second-degree burns over 30 percent of his body.

“It’s heartbreaking. It is. It sucks,” she told KNXV-TV. “All of it was peeling. He had blisters all over the right side.”

She was outside with little Nicholas Monday when she turned on the hose to fill his wading pool.

“I thought he was crying because he was mad, because he hates when he gets sprayed in the face. I didn’t think that it was burning him,” she said.

In the Phoenix area, where daytime temperatures are currently above 100 degrees, contact burns are common, said Fire Department Capt. Larry Subervi.

Read: Couple Arrested After They Tried To Sell 3-Month-Old Baby for Drug Money: Cops

In such high temps, the water in a garden hose left in the sun could be as hot as 150 degrees, he said. “So at those temperatures, something as short as a 10- or 30-second exposure can result in a second-degree burn,” he told the station.

Woodger said doctors told her Nicholas will be OK.

“Just be careful. Just touch it before you spray, before you let your kids near it,” the mother said.

 Watch: Cop Celebrates Graduation of Baby He Saved From Gunshot Wound 17 Years Ago

Related Coverage