Infant Boy's Benadryl Overdose While in Care of Unlicensed Daycare Ruled a Homicide
The tragic death of an infant boy in Connecticut has been ruled a homicide by a medical examiner after authorities say he died from a Benadryl overdose while being looked after at an unlicensed daycare.
Adam Seagull was being cared for at a home in the well-heeled town of Fairfield March 22 when Carol Cardillo called 911 after she was unable to wake up the 4-month-old.
Paramedics responded, but Adam could not be resuscitated. In July, investigators revealed the boy had high levels of the anti-histamine diphenhydramine in his system.
This past week, Fairfield police say Adam's death, originally believed to have been the result of SIDS, has been ruled a homicide by the state medical examiner.
Deputy Police Chief Chris Lyddy told reporters that investigators have not yet been able to rule out any suspects in the child's death.
Cardillo has denied giving Adam Benadryl. She told police she gave him a bottle around noon and then put him down for a nap. When she checked on him just before 3 p.m., she said he was unresponsive.
According to police, there were four adults in the home at the time and seven children other than Adam. Cardillo has reportedly run the daycare operation without a license out of her home for 11 years.
No charges have been filed in the case, which remains under investigation.
Multiple calls placed to Cardillo's home rang unanswered Thursday afternoon.
The Seagull family has thus far declined to comment on the case and his grandfather did not immediately respond to a Facebook message. However, Adam's obituary stands as a touching tribute to a boy who was deeply loved.
"Adam was known to his family as their 'little prince,' 'tootie muffin,' 'little man' and to his mother as 'mama’s sweet boy.' His infectious smile brought immediate joy to everyone who had the privilege of experiencing it.
"As he would look at you with his beautiful brown eyes, your heart became bigger and fuller with love."