Hero Nanny Rescues 5-Year-Old Boy
A badly burned nanny is talking about how she ran through a blazing home to rescue a 5-year-old boy.
"I care for him like he's my own little brother," she says tearfully.
Live-in nanny Alison Myatt and the boy she was looking after were asleep when she woke to find the home in flames.
"The house caught really bad fire," says Aidan Hawes.
Myatt ran barefoot through a blazing hallway to little Aidan's room.
"When I yelled for him he just told me that his was in his bed, the covers pulled over him," remembers Myatt.
As the drama was unfolding, a neighbor called 911.
Meanwhile, Myatt scooped Aidan into her arms, and ran through the flames to get out of the house.
"I just knew I was hurt severely and the house was on fire and I had to get help," she says.
Despite agonizing burns on her feet and arm, the 22-year-old loaded Aidan into the family minivan and drove to a neighbor's home.
"I had jumped out of the van and put my feet into the grass because my feet were in so much pain," says Myatt.
Aidan's father, J.B. Hawes, was out of town when the blaze broke out.
He raced home to find his son unscathed and Myatt in the hospital.
"To see her lying there was very difficult, knowing what she had done for my son," he says.
Fire officials say that a minute later, it would have been too late to save Aidan.
Myatt, who has only worked for Hawes for two months, has severe burns on her feet and one hand. She is now recovering at University Hospital in Louisville, Kentucky.
Hawes, a single dad, now has to find a new home for them all. When he does, little Aidan says he can't wait to play again with his brave nanny.
"I miss her so much," he tells INSIDE EDITION.
It's believed the fire started because of a faulty ceiling fan. As for the hero nanny, she's expected to be out of the hospital in a few days.