Driver Tony Stewart Breaks Silence: "Pain I've Never Had To Experience"

Driver Tony Stewart Breaks  Silence: "Pain I've Never Had To Experience"

Champion NASCAR driver Tony Stewart spoke out for the first time about that horrifying moment he ran over and killed another driver.

In a press conference on Friday, Stewart said, “This has been one of the toughest tragedies I have ever dealt with, both professionally and personally. This is something that will affect my life forever. This is a sadness and a pain I've never had to experience.”   

He appeared somber and emotional as he delivered in a low voice a message for the family of 20-year-old Kevin Ward, the driver who was mowed down.

Stewart spoke out, “The pain and mourning that Kevin Ward’s family and friends are experiencing is something that I cannot possibly imagine. I want Kevin's father, Kevin Senior, his mother Pam, and his sisters Christi, Kayla and Katelyn to know I am thinking about them every day and praying for them.”   

The fatal encounter on a track in Upstate New York just three weeks ago which began when Stewart's sprint car appeared to bump a car being driven by Ward, an up-and-coming driver.  

“I have taken the last couple of weeks off out of respect for Kevin and his family, and also to cope with the accident in my own way. It has given me the time to think about life and how easy it is to take for granted,” Stewart discussed.

Stewart returns to racing this Sunday.

He left the press conference after making a prepared statement, without answering any questions.

Stewart said, “I have to respect the ongoing investigation and cannot address questions at this time. Emotionally, I'm not sure I could answer them anyway.”

So far, authorities say there is no evidence of criminal wrongdoing by Stewart.