The Vietnamese immigrant beaten up by Mark Wahlberg 26 years ago says he thinks the actor should get a pardon for the crime.
In an exclusive interview with the Daily Mail, the man identified as Johnny Trinh who had reportedly lost his eye in the 1988 attack says he forgives the star.
"I would like to see him get a pardon. He should not have the crime hanging over him any longer" Trinh told th Daily Mail.
Last week, it was revealed that Wahlberg was seeking a pardon. INSIDE EDITION spoke with him on Wednesday night at the premiere of his new movie The Gambler.
He told INSIDE EDITION, “It’s always been something that I’ve been focused on correcting and you know, I’ve worked very hard to better myself as a person.”
Hear More from Wahlberg About His Pardon
Wahlberg pled guilty to slugging the immigrant in 1988 when he was 16 and a troubled youth in Boston.
For all these years, Wahlberg lived with the belief that the immigrant was blinded in one eye in the attack. But in his interview, the victim says that did not happen, saying, "I was not blinded by Mark Wahlberg. He did hurt me but my left eye was already gone. He was not responsible for that." [Source: DailyMail.co.uk]
Wahlberg told INSIDE EDITION that pardon or no pardon, he wants to show everyone that people can change for the better, saying, “This was something that was put in front of me and whether it happens or not I will continue to work hard and be the best person I can be and be a role model to kids growing up.”