Kanye West may not have to watch the throne, but watch the stage.
It was revealed earlier this week that he will be one of the headliners at this summer’s Glastonbury festival in England. Now, a petition on Change.org has been started to prevent him from playing.
As of now, over 50,000 people have signed the petition that said, “Kanye West is an insult to music fans all over the world. We spend hundreds of pounds to attend Glasto, and by doing so, expect a certain level of entertainment. Kanye has been very outspoken on his views on music....he should listen to his own advice and pass his headline slot on to someone deserving! Let’s prevent this musical injustice now!"
In an exclusive interview with British music magazine NME, the organizer of the petition, Neil Lonsdale said, “Glastonbury needs upbeat major artists. Glastonbury is an institution. It is expected that it has the biggest names. The biggest performers. Kanye does not represent that. I fought the temptation to scream and instead opted to hurl my iPhone across the room. Two years ago we had The Rolling Stones playing the Saturday night, and this year we get Kanye West? It's an outrage!"
While this controversy keeps growing, another petition has popped up online called “Cancel All Acts At Glastonbury Other Than Kanye West.” It currently has 500 supporters.
The chances of West being booted from the festival are pretty slim as festival founder Michael Evans posted a photo of himself holding a banner that read “Yeezy Does It!”
While the full line-up has yet to be announced, the only other headliner that has been confirmed is Foo Fighters. The festival takes place this June.