Can you believe you can eat delicious food and still lose weight? It's possible, using the Greek diet!
In their book The Greek Diet, Maria Loi and Sarah Toland even encourage dieters to eat pasta and bread and to wash it down with wine.
Those who follow the diet can expect to lose about 10 pounds in two weeks, its authors write in the book, which was released last year but has since gone on to become a hit.
“You're not miserable, you're going out to the restaurant and you can find the foods that you want,” Loi told INSIDE EDITION.
First up, The Greek Diet breakfast which is a shake that includes 1 cup of ice, 2 cups of 2 percent plain Greek yogurt, 1 cup brewed Greek coffee, 1 cup of 2% milk and 2 tablespoons of honey. Blend it together and you have a tasty beverage.
For dinner there's baked salmon topped with Greek yogurt sauce. While the salmon is in the oven you can whip up the yogurt sauce in just a few minutes, it includes diced tomato, Greek yogurt, bell pepper, dill and lemon juice.
To kick-start the Greek Diet and lose a lot of weight fast, eat a bowl of Greek yogurt instead of a full course dinner every night for one week.
Sarah said, “This is the absolute superfood on the Greek diet, it's yogurt. What makes yogurt great for fat burning is its super high in protein and the more protein you eat the more calories you burn.”
Here are recipes you can try.
Greek Morning Shake
Rich, luscious, and satisfying, this simple shake will start your day off right!
1 cup of ice
2 cups 2% plain Greek yogurt
1 cup brewed Greek coffee
2 tablespoons of honey
1 cup 2% milk
1) In a blender, blend the ice until it is crushed.
2) Add the yogurt, coffee, honey, and milk to the crushed ice. Blend until smooth. Pour into glasses.
Baked Salmon with Yogurt Sauce
This recipe is quick and easy for those constantly on the move, full of omega-3s and calcium needed for optimum functionality. I love eating this with Marouli Salad (page 174) for an energy-boosting lunch.
Four 4-ounce portions salmon fillet
4 tablespoons Greek extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 medium tomato
1 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill leaves (no stems)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Black peppercorns, for garnish (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
2) Pat the salmon fillets with paper towels and rub them with a little olive oil (approximately 1 tablespoon per fillet), season them with salt and pepper, and place them in a single layer in the baking pan. Bake the fillets for 10 to 15 minutes for medium-well, flipping them halfway through the cooking time.
3) Meanwhile, with a sharp knife, score the tomato by making a small X on the bottom. Place the tomato in a small bowl, cover it with boiling water, and let it stand for 1 to 2 minutes. Drain the tomato and submerge in cold water. Peel the tomato and remove the seeds. Dice the tomato and strain it to remove all the liquid.
4) In a medium bowl, combine the diced tomato, yogurt, bell pepper, dill, lemon juice, and salt and black pepper to taste. Stir well.
5) Serve each portion of salmon topped with a dollop of the yogurt sauce and sprinkle with a few peppercorns.
Mediterranean Chicken Stew
Serves 8 to 10
1 tablespoon tomato paste
4 cups chicken stock, vegetable stock, or water
1 whole chicken (3 pounds), cut into eight pieces
3 medium eggplants, diced into 1-inch cubes
2 green bell peppers, roughly chopped
2 red bell peppers, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 medium tomatoes, diced
1 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, stemmed and chopped
½ cup olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Greek yogurt, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 375˚F.
2. In a medium bowl, dissolve the tomato paste in the chicken stock.
3. In a large baking pan, combine the chicken, eggplant, bell peppers, garlic, tomatoes, parsley, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Pour the tomato paste mixture over the baking pan. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and golden, another 30 minutes.
5. Serve with Greek yogurt.