Authorities have identified the Nice truck driver as a Tunisian-born Frenchman who was known to police.
Police say 31-year-old Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel, a divorced father of three, was driving the 18-ton truck that left 84 dead on Thursday night. His ID was discovered beside his dead body inside the vehicle after he was killed by police.
On Friday, French Anti-terror Prosecutor Francois Molins confirmed that the killer was not known to intelligence services.
His attack killed 10 children and left more than 200 people injued. More than 50 people are in critical condition, French authorities said Friday.
Lahouaiej-Bouhlel, who is said to have no apparent ties to any religious extremist group, was living alone in the working class section of Nice. His neighbors described him as a loner that kept to himself. One neighbor, Sebastien, told The Guardian that Lahouaiej-Bouhlel did not seem overly religious.
Authorities were also reportedly questioning his ex-wife on Friday.
Neighbors told France’s BFM-TV that Lahouaiej-Bouhlel had become depressed following his divorce. Some neighbors called him “depressed and unstable, even aggressive.”
According to reports, the driver was on police radar due to his criminal past. Lahouaiej-Bouhlel, who worked as a delivery man, was previously convicted for armed robbery, domestic violence and once fell asleep behind the wheel while working.
Even though he kept a lengthy rap sheet, he was not on any terrorist watch list, according to France’s BFM-TV.
ISIS has not claimed responsibility for the latest attack in France; however, the terrorist group has praised the actions on social media.
The terrorist organization has often used vehicles during attacks, packing them with weapons and explosives. The group has encouraged this by posting tutorial videos on their website.
French authorities are currently working to see if Lahouaiej-Bouhlel acted alone in the massacre. He was killed by police in the melee and authorities discovered a pistol, large gun and grenades inside the truck.