Surveillance cameras caught the moment a Wisconsin teenager saved his friend from choking in the school cafeteria by performing the Heimlich maneuver.
The group of high school freshmen were eating lunch when Will Olsen began choking.
He choked on cheddar munchers, which are deep-fried balls of cheese and potatoes.
“I could feel it in my throat, going up and down. It wouldn't dislodge,” Olsen told Inside Edition.
Luckily he was sitting across from Ian Brown, who saw his friend's face turning red.
“He turned a color I had never seen before and never want to see again,” Brown told IE.
Brown jumped into action and calmly performed the Heimlich maneuver on his friend. After three thrusts, the food popped out.
“I was just doing what I was taught and trained to do,” Brown said.
Olsen said he also knew exactly what to do when he started choking.
“My parents told me to in this kind of situation: Give a sign to my friends that there's something wrong here, and that's what I did,” he explained.
Shane Woodall teaches the Heimlich maneuver, which has saved than 100,000 people since the 1970s.
"Generally speaking, you want to get the person who's choking to stand up, and then get your hands just a little lower than the abdomen, but overall you can see it works well. The object comes right out and he saved the life of his friend, which is the most important thing," Woodall said of Brown's heroic action.
Inside Edition gets a lesson on how to do the Heimlich maneuver.
"We're going to step behind them, and put our arms around their waist. It's important to get really low," said Woodall. If your arms are too high, "it's not going to work," he said.
"You want to find the navel, put your fists right above it, pull in and up really hard at an an angle, and the object should come right out," he demonstrated.
“Do you think he saved your life?” Inside Edition asked Olsen.
"I feel like if he wasn't there, I'd be dead," said Olsen.