A family dog was stung hundreds of times by a massive swarm of bees as her terrified owners watched from inside their Florida house.
Delilah, a Rottweiler mix, later died last week at a veterinarian’s office in Boca Raton, owner Debbie Leonard said.
Leonard and her children are still in shock.
“You wouldn’t even be able to tell what color she was, there were so many bees on her,” Debbie’s daughter, Rebecca, told WPTV.
The 45-pound pet was in the Leonard’s fenced backyard when she was attacked. Debbie’s teenage children said they were afraid to open the door because of the teeming throng of insects.
“She was jumping up at the door handle and chewing on it, trying to get us to open the door,” Rebecca said as she broke down in tears. “And we couldn’t, because there just hundreds of bees swarming around her.”
Delilah died in Rebecca’s arms at the Lund Animal Hospital, Debbie said. “They had removed over 100 bee stings,” she said. “They said she had developed neurological issues. She couldn’t walk. She was just tremoring.”
She called a beekeeper to inspect her yard. A feral hive was found in a tree on the property line, she said. The beekeeper also discovered her next-door neighbor had a series of hives in their backyard.
Leonard said she has requested that a state inspector check the hives.