A Texas teen died over the weekend in a bathroom mishap that her grieving family members say could happen to just about anyone.
Madison Coe had just finished 8th grade in Lubbock when she was found dead in a bathtub at her father's New Mexico home on Sunday, KCBD reports.
The 14-year-old's family says she either plugged her phone in or grabbed it while it was plugged in, causing her to be electrocuted.
"I call her my shining star," said her grandmother, Donna O'Guinn. "There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone. And that was just very obvious that that’s what had happened."
The senseless tragedy came before Madison could start high school in a brand new school district in Houston, where her family was in the process of relocating.
Her previous school district in Lubbock offered a message of solidarity with her family and loved ones.
"It is with heavy hearts that Frenship ISD mourns the loss of Madison Coe," officials with the district said. "We wish to share our heartfelt sympathy with her family and friends as we carry the burden of this tragedy together,"
Madison's grandmother took her own message a step further and says she's on a mission to ensure no family ever experiences the same profound loss.
"This is such a tragedy that doesn’t need to happen to anyone else. And we want something good to come out of this as awareness of not using your cell phone in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charging," O'Guinn said.
A GoFundMe page has been set up in Madison's name to help the family financially. As of this writing, more than $6,000 of a $20,000 goal has been donated.