It was a peaceful setting of a guy playing the guitar during a camping trip. But suddenly a flying bat swooped in and it attacked.
He told INSIDE EDITION, "It bit me right here. It landed on my chest and then crawled up and bit me."
An even bigger shock came two days later as a test on the bat, which had been captured and killed, confirmed that it had rabies, which is almost always a fatal disease if not treated.
Darrick and Jodi started treatment immediately. Jodi wasn't bitten but she also needs shots because she cleaned Darrick's wound. It’s an intense treatment that involves a series of four injections over a period of two weeks.
A few lessons can be learned from this experience.
First, if you're bitten by a bat: doctors say wash the wound thoroughly with soapy water. Seek medical attention immediately. If possible, test the bat for rabies.