How Lou Ferrigno Says He Ended Up in the Hospital After Getting a Pneumonia Vaccine

This video is unavailable because we were unable to load a message from our sponsors.

If you are using ad-blocking software, please disable it and reload the page.
Playing

Lou Ferrigno is offering a warning after he said he had to be hospitalized following a bad reaction to a pneumonia vaccine.

“My whole arm got filled with fluid. It looked like something out of a horror film,” the "Incredible Hulk” actor told Inside Edition. 

The 67-year-old actor and former bodybuilder said he went to the Santa Monica, California, Rite Aid at 1331 Wilshire Blvd. to get the shot. He claimed the syringe used was not wrapped in plastic and believes that it may have been contaminated.

“I really believe that the syringe might have had some bacteria,” he said.

In a statement, Rite Aid said that it is taking the matter “seriously.” “We have conducted a thorough review of this matter and are confident that all protocols were appropriately followed,” Rite Aid told Inside Edition in a statement.  “Patient and customer safety is a top priority at Rite Aid.

"We take all customer matters, especially those related to safety, very seriously. Our Rite Aid pharmacists are nationally certified to provide immunizations and we successfully vaccinate millions of patients every year. All patients are provided with information about immunizations, including possible side effects."

Ferrigno said he went to the ER, where they gave him a CAT scan and antibiotics through an IV, keeping him overnight. 

Carla, his wife of 38 years, said she was concerned to see her husband in the hospital. “I knew it was something bad when he says, ‘I’ve got to go to the hospital.’ That’s serious,” she said. 

Ferrigno said it took four days for the swelling in his arm to go down. Now, he's got some advice for anyone getting a shot: "Anytime you get a flu or pneumonia shot, make sure it's enclosed in the packet in front of you.”

Chief Medical Officer Dr. Armand Dorian of USC Verdugo Hills Hospital offered the following opinion.

“This vaccine is a dead virus, there is nothing there that will cause an infection. The infection is happening from the skin or unsafe delivery methods,” he told Inside Edition. 

RELATED STORIES

Several Kids Hospitalized With Potentially Fatal Bacterial Infection After Visit to Same Dentist

78-Year-Old Bodybuilder Hopes to Win a World Championship

84-Year-Old Man Is World's Oldest Bodybuilder: 'I Will Keep Going'