Latest News
Headlines

Man Hospitalized After E-Cigarette Explodes in His Pocket

Playing Man Hospitalized After E-Cigarette Explodes in His Pocket

Surveillance footage captured the moment a man's pants exploded when an e-cigarette in his pocket suddenly burst into flames.

The footage shows Josh Hamilton, who had been buying snacks at a gas station in Kentucky, scrambling outside and desperately trying to pull off his pants.

Read: Hoverboard Sparks Fire And Burns Down Family's Mansion

A customer helped him pull off the pants, while a gas station employee, Jassie Singh, doused him with a fire extinguisher.

"I was like, 'did you have a bomb in your pocket?'" an employee said. "What happened?'"

It emerged that the e-cigarette's battery blew up.

The freak fire left Hamilton, from Owensboro, injured and hospitalized with second-degree burns. He posted a photograph of his badly burned leg to Facebook - and apologized for how gruesome it looks.

"I can't even look at it without getting a little sick myself," he said

He added that the e-cig "got me good!"

Read: Man Left in Coma After E-Cigarette Explosion Warns: 'These Things Are Deadly'

"It was like I had one of those fountain type fireworks going off in my pocket," he wrote. "Sparks were flying everywhere and I had to ditch the pants in the middle of a crowded gas station."

This is not the first incident of its kind.

Last year, 21-year-old Evan Spahlinger was left in a coma after an e-cigarette blew up in his face.

“These things are deadly,” Spahlinger, who is now recovering, told INSIDE EDITION. “I thought I was gonna die.”

Experts offer tips for staying safe while using e-cigarettes:

- Avoid counterfeit brands
- Only use the power charge that came with the battery
- Do not over-charge the battery
- Never plug it into a computer

Watch: American Couple Captures Terrifying Escape After Explosion in China

Share Share on Facebook Tweet Share on Twitter
Receive Breaking News

By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

Your e-mail was submitted successfully.
Sorry, your email address was not processed. Please try again.
Around the Web