2-Year-Old Dies Twice and Revived After He's Bitten by Venomous Snake 3 Times
An Australian 2-year-old died twice after he was bitten three times by the world’s second-most venomous snake, a coastal taipan.
The toddler, Eli, was bitten three times while he was getting eggs from the chicken coop in his family's backyard with his mom. The bites caused him to go into cardiac arrest.
He was declared dead for six minutes after the bites but was revived twice by paramedics and taken to the hospital in Brisbane.
Richie Gilbert from Sunshine Coast Snake Catchers 24/7 told Daily Mail Australia that taipans are elusive but will strike when cornered.
"It was tragic. The snake would have probably had its head in a hole looking for rats or mice. They are a shy but they can strike repeatedly and very quickly if they feel threatened," Gilbert said.
Blake Hyland, a family friend who has a son similar in age to Eli, started a GoFundMe for the family to help with hospital bills.The page has raised almost $4,000 of it's $20,000 goal
According to Hyland, Eli was taken off of the ventilator Monday but has brain damage and some loss of motor skills.
"He's very lucky to be alive," Hyland told InsideEdition.com.
Hyland said that the dangerous snake is common in the area.