Latest News
Headlines

Retired Carpenter Builds 58 Crosses to Honor Victims of Las Vegas Shooting

(Getty Images) (Getty Images)

An Illinois man has driven to Nevada to pay his respects to the mass shooting victims and installed 58 crosses near the “Welcome to Las Vegas” sign.

Each cross features the name of one of the 58 people killed when a gunman opened fire on concertgoers from the window of his hotel room at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino on Oct. 1.

Read: In Wake of Vegas Shooting, Late Night Comics Let Go of Humor to Push for Gun Control

Greg Zanis, a 66-year-old retired carpenter, told WGN the row of crosses will show the severity of what happened more than numbers or pictures in the paper.

The crosses reportedly took Zanis two days to build and each features a heart.

Last year, Zanis drove more than 1,000 miles to Orlando to place 49 crosses to pay tribute to the victims of the Pulse nightclub shooting.

He also brought crosses after the Columbine High School shooting and the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting, CNN reported.

Read: Hundreds Donate Blood in the Wake Las Vegas' Mass Shooting: 'I Wanted to Do Something Right Now'

The idea to build crosses came after Zanis found his father-in-law dead in 1996 of a gunshot wound to the head. He reportedly built him a cross to help cope with his grief, the station reported.

"I don't have any answers, but this is just me doing something, showing that I care, showing that I love them," Zanis told WGN earlier this year.

Watch: Will Las Vegas Massacre Change Hotel Security Procedures?

Share Share on Facebook Tweet Share on Twitter
Receive Breaking News

By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

Your e-mail was submitted successfully.
Sorry, your email address was not processed. Please try again.
Around the Web