The seven children killed in a horrific house fire in Brooklyn were laid to rest in Jerusalem on Monday.
Mourners could be heard sobbing and moaning as the tiny bodies, wrapped in shrouds, according to Orthodox Jewish tradition, were carried on stretchers and laid next to each other.
The children's heartbroken father, Gabriel Sassoon, wept as he spoke the names of each of his lost children at the emotionally charged funeral service.
The bodies of the children aged five to 16, were flown to Israel for burial after an equally heart wrenching memorial service in Brooklyn.
There were seven little graves dug for them in Jerusalem.
And fire department radio broadcasts from the night of the tragedy have just been released.
The fire dispatcher said, “Report, people still inside the house!”
Now, we are also getting reports somebody jumped out of one of the windows.
The children's mom, Gayle Sassson, and her 15-year-old daughter, Siporah, survived by leaping from the burning home. They remain in critical condition and were not able to attend the services in Israel.
The tragedy was caused by a hotplate that was left on to keep food warm overnight and avoid working on the Sabbath. The home had only one smoke alarm which was in the basement.
In the wake of the tragedy the fire department issued safety tips for the Orthodox Jewish community.
- Stay in the kitchen. Don't leave cooking food unattended.
- Keep the power cord away from the hot plate
- Keep flammable items away from the hot plate.
- Don't leave candles burning overnight.
Important lessons so that tragedies like these can be avoided in the future.