The Oval Office Gets a Makeover
The most famous office in America gets a makeover!
The iconic Oval Office got a facelift, with new furniture, a fresh coat of paint, and new handmade striped wallpaper.
Gone are the traditional floral-print couches in the center of the office -- they've been replaced by sleeker brown sofas adorned with blue and red throw pillows.
Former President Bill Clinton may be disappointed with the changes...the rug that so impressed him last year is also gone. The new wheat-colored wool carpet has the Presidential seal in the center and famous historical quotes line the border.
The room was redecorated while the Obamas were on vacation in Martha's Vineyard, and the extreme makeover is sparking some criticism.
"While the economy suffers greatly, they think they should take 6 vacations in 8 months, and redecorate," one blogger writes.
White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs defended the redecoration as "very modest" and said "none of the modest changes...were done at any taxpayer expense."
The White House won't reveal the cost of the renovation, only saying it was "in line with the amount that President Bush and President Clinton spent re-designing their Oval Office."
The five historical quotes that are printed on the new Oval Office rug are:
- "The Only Thing We Have to Fear is Fear Itself" - President Franklin D. Roosevelt
- "The Arc of the Moral Universe is Long, But it Bends Towards Justice" - Martin Luther King Jr.
- "Government of the People, By the People, For the People" - President Abraham Lincoln
- "No Problem of Human Destiny is Beyond Human Beings" - President John F. Kennedy
- "The Welfare of Each of Us is Dependent Fundamentally Upon the Welfare of All of Us" - President Theodore Roosevelt