5-Year-Old Boy Saves His Grandmother From House Fire Using Lesson He Learned at School

5-Year-Old Boy Saves His Grandmother From House Fire Using Lesson He Learned at School Nathaniel Stocks, pictured, saved his grandmother from a house fire at the weekend. (KCBS)

A five-year-old boy is being hailed as a hero for saving his sleeping grandmother from a house fire.

Nathaniel Stocks, from Phelan, California, toured a San Bernardino Fire Department fire house with his elementary school last Thursday - and just two days later, he put his new knowledge into action.

When the youngster awoke early on Saturday he found smoke filling his room - and knew what to do. He dropped to the ground and crawled beneath the smoke to his grandmother's room and woke her up.

Read: Watch Family's Dog Spark Fire When He Accidentally Turns on Stove

"I think he saved our lives for sure," his grandma, Kimberly Ratliff, told CBSLA. "I have no doubt I was sound asleep."

Ratliff said she got up to find huge flames inside the home. The two were able to flee the home before it was destroyed.

When fire crews reached the home, they were able to retrieve Ratliff's Chihuahua and bring the fire under control within 15 minutes. No one was injured.

Little Nathaniel knew what to do after the trip to the firehouse last week, his family said.

"Nice thing about Nathaniel he remembers everything," Ratliff added. “He’s a really smart kid and pays attention.”

When asked by CBSLA how his grandmother reacted to the fire, Nathaniel responded: "She said a bad word."

Read: Watch Pajama-Clad Granny Scold Home Intruders: 'Get the Hell Out of Here!'

On Monday, he was honored by the fire department, which posted a photograph to Twitter:

A preliminary investigation found the fire was likely sparked by a space heater, officials said.

Watch Below: Man Uses Lighter Fluid to Set Costumes on Fire in Walmart

Related Coverage