Five-Year-Old Hero Saves Her Blind Grandmother From Burning Home
A five-year-old Louisiana girl is being hailed as a hero after she saved her blind grandmother by leading her out of their burning home.
Cloe Woods was in her home in Kenner on Wednesday morning when the kitchen stove started a fire that set off the smoke alarm.
Woods, who'd recently learned fire safety tips in her pre-kindergarten class, leaped out of bed and immediately ran to her blind grandmother's side.
"She told my mom to hold her shoulder and that they had to get out of the house," Cloe's mom, Shone Arceneaux, told WWL.
Arceneaux said her brave daughter then went for help. "She was running and telling the neighbors to call 911, and I said what's going on. She said the house is on fire, so I jump out of the car and said what?"
According to Kenner Fire Department Chief John Hellmers, Cloe saved her grandmother's life.
And it's thanks, in part, to the lessons the pre-schooler learned back in October during a visit to a local fire station to learn about fire safety.
"Today we learned that one of the students (Cloe) was able to put the lessons learned into action," said Sharon Lowe, from Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic school.
Lowe has started a GoFundMe campaign to help Cloe's family recover from the loss of their home and personal possessions.
Lowe also wants to make sure Cloe gets the recognition she so deserves.
"Cloe’s mom is so proud of her daughter, as are we. She was thankful that Cloe had the opportunity to learn about fire safety during her visit to the fire station," Lowe wrote. "Thanks to the Kenner Fire Department for welcoming our students to their fire station and taking the time out of their day to teach them about fire safety."