Headlines

Girl, 11, Dies After Choking on Marshmallow at Friend's Birthday Party


Girl, 11, Dies After Choking on Marshmallow at Friend's Birthday Party (GoFundMe)

A Massachusetts girl has died nearly a week after she choked on a marshmallow and lost consciousness.

Azriel Estabrooks, 11, was at a friend's birthday party April 16th when she was found unresponsive.

It wasn't until paramedics arrived that it was discovered she had a marshmallow lodged in her throat.

Read: Kindergartner Says No Thanks to Birthday Presents, Asks for Donations To Save Sea Turtles

According to a GoFundMe page posted by a representative for the family, Azriel's parents were told "their daughter had choked on a 'big marshmallow' at the birthday party, fell down, and suffered a severe head injury."

For days, the little girl clung to life.

“All we want is her to wake up and look at us with her beautiful green eyes,” her mother, Iris Estabrooks, said in the days before her daughter's death.

Read: Man Smuggles 51 Turtles Inside His Sweatpants, Gets Sentenced to 5 Years in Prison

"She is strong and putting up a fight but it’s not looking good for her. So please we ask for all the prayers and positive energy for our baby."

Azriel lost her fight Friday. She is survived by her mother, Army vet father, and young brother and sister.

In the day or so after, the GoFundMe page created to benefit her family raised over $15,000.

Watch: Teen Beaten to Death In School After Reportedly Trying to Make Peace With Girls