From Badges to Chicken Feet, Here Are Items Doctors Have Pulled From Kids' Noses and Ears
There's a FDR campaign button dating to 1940, a hat pin from 1950 and a toy sheriff's badge that was removed in 1938.
There's also a rosary bead, a sardine can key and the foot of a chicken.
All are specimens removed from children who stuck the offending objects in their ears or up their noses or swallowed them whole.
They are mounted on a display at the entrance to the eye, ear and throat department at Boston Children's Hospital, where they serve as a cautionary tale to parents about the dangers posed by everyday household items in the hands of curious little ones.
"It's just a natural curiosity," hospital spokeswoman Bethany Tripp told InsideEdition.com. "These are young kids and they have holes in their faces and they try to stick things inside them," she said, laughing.
The goofy items date to 1918 and include things not seen much these days - the hat pin for example, and the blue lapel button reading "Roosevelt."
Historically, "it shows how things have changed over the years," Tripp said.
Others are just strange, such as a piece of coconut meat extracted from a kid's nose and a doll's eye that was stuck to the roof of a child's mouth.
Such things can cause choking or suffocation or in the case of tiny button-shaped batteries, internal burns caused by leaking hydroxide.
"It still happens a lot," Tripp said. And the wall display is there to make parents stop and think about what their children can get up to while an adult's back is turned.