Headlines

Teen Dies Days After Apparently Contracting Brain-Eating Amoeba


Teen Dies Days After Apparently Contracting Brain-Eating Amoeba Hudson Adams, 19, was rushed to the hospital after falling ill with flu-like symptoms over the weekend. (Facebook)

A Texas teenager has died after he apparently contracted a brain-eating amoeba, officials said.

Hudson Adams, 19, was rushed to the hospital after falling ill with flu-like symptoms over the weekend, the director of a summer camp Adams worked at told KPRC2.

He was then reportedly flown to Memorial Hermann, where he was placed on life support before he died Wednesday.

A spokeswoman with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention told InsideEdition.com the CDC was notified of the case on July 12.

“Hudson Adams is in the complete and total loving arms of Jesus,” his father wrote on Facebook as he announced his son’s passing.

An outpouring of support from friends and family was left on the grieving dad’s social media page, as loved ones expressed their shock and sadness over losing Adams so suddenly.

“Our hearts are broken. We love y'all so much. We're here with you,” one friend wrote.

Another posted: “Have no words and cannot imagine the pain you're going through.”

Friends devastated by Adams’ death called the recent high school graduate kind and humble.

“Had the privilege of being around Hudson this summer! Such an awesome guy,” another wrote.

Adams worked at Frontier Camp, a Christian summer camp about two hours north of Houston, as a kitchen maintenance assistant and junior counselor, the camp wrote on Facebook.

Read: Teen Dies From Brain-Eating Amoeba After Rafting Trip With Her Church

“This summer I am most looking forward to being with awesome staffers and teaching kids about God's word," Adams said when he began work, the camp wrote in a July 1 Facebook post. 

“A former camper and current summer staffer, Hudson was a loyal friend and hard worker, who always served joyfully and with humility in his service to others and the Lord,” the camp said in a statement.

“He was fun, loved his cape socks, and everyone always enjoyed being around him. While we will miss our friend, brother in Christ, and fellow laborer in the good work of sharing the Gospel, we look forward to the day we will see him again in the presence of our Lord and Savior.”

Services for Adams will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at Ecclesia Houston at 1100 Elder, his father wrote on Facebook. He noted that the family is also planning to have a water well in honor of his son.

“This will provide clean water for a community with limited access. This alone can save many lives and we want nothing more than for Hudson’s life to contribute to bringing God’s love into this world,” his father wrote. “The well will have his name on it and the family will be able to visit it one day.”

Those interested in donating to the fund can do so by clicking here.

The deadly amoeba believed to have caused Adams’ death, known as Naegleria fowleri, is commonly found in warm freshwater and soil.

Read: From an Army Lieutenant to a Brain-Eating Amoeba Survivor: Compelling Backstories of Miss USA Contestants

It can cause a rare infection in the brain called primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), according to the CDC.

The fatality rate for PAM is devastatingly high at more than 97%, as only three people out of 138 known cases of infection in the United States from 1963 to 2015 have survived, the CDC said.

A teenager in Ohio died in June after she contracted the deadly amoeba while on vacation with her church youth choir.

Lauren Seitz, 18, is believed to have picked up the brain-eating amoeba while traveling with the group from Church of The Messiah, United Methodist, to sing at churches and nursing homes when they went on a rafting trip in North Carolina.

Michael John Riley Jr., a 14-year-old, three-time junior Olympian, died after contracting the deadly amoeba while swimming at a park near Huntsville, Texas, on August 13.

The CDC confirmed the most recent infection, saying in a statement to InsideEdition.com that officials confirmed on Thursday the Naegleria fowleri infection through testing a sample of cerebrospinal fluid.

When reached by InsideEdition.com, a spokeswoman for the family declined to comment on Adams’ death or the circumstances surrounding it.

Watch: Mom Reveals Similar Experience After Boy Dies From Wrong Medicine Dosage

Related Coverage