Several Kids Hospitalized With Potentially Fatal Bacterial Infection After Visit to Same Dentist
A California clinic is under investigation after county health officials say seven children were hospitalized with a serious bacterial infection after receiving the same dental procedure.
The children were patients at Children's Dental Group in Anaheim. According to CBS News, each of the children had gotten a pulpotomy, or baby root canal, between May 3 and August 2.
Eight children have since been diagnosed with slowly progressive oral cellulitis, a bacterial infection in the mouth that can spread into the gum and bones, according to officials.
Seven of the children have been hospitalized as a result of the serious and potentially fatal infection.
Three-year-old Gibran Baron is one of the children being closely monitored and treated with IV antibiotics after a teacher noticed a lump in his cheek.
But, doctors had to operate on little Gibran to remove an abscess after he received the dental procedure in May.
"I have not seen these types of cases in the 10 years I've been here," said Dr. Eric Handler, the public health officer in charge of investigating the clinic.
Up to 500 children who have had the procedure done at Children's Dental Group are being contacted in an attempt to curb the slow growing infection, which Handler said is resistant to treatment, and needs to be handled quickly.
Health officials believe the water used during a pulpotomy is the source of the bacteria.
"We are doing everything," Children's Dental Group CEO Samuel Gruenbaum said in a statement to the press, "whether its sterilization or anything else that relates to taking care of the patients. We are on it."
Gruenbaum also stated: "The number of patients affected has been a very small percentage of those who have received pulpotomy treatment at our Anaheim office."
The clinic has agreed to stop performing the procedure as the investigation continues.
InsideEdition.com's multiple attempts to reach the clinic for comment have gone unanswered.