Student Says His iPhone Exploded in Pocket, Then Burst Into Flames: 'It Was Burning My Leg'

A New Jersey college student says he had just sat down in class when he felt a terrible burning sensation and realized his pocket was on fire.

His iPhone 6 Plus, tucked into the back of his jeans, was smoking, “and it was burning my leg,” Darin Hlavaty said. He threw the blistering hot phone to the floor, where it “lit up into flames,” he told WCBS-TV.

Read: Family's Car Destroyed By Exploding Samsung Phone That Was Recalled 3 Days Earlier

His physical science class at Rowan University was evacuated Friday and moved to another room, school officials told ABC News.

“Everyone was kind of like, ‘What is that? What is that?’ said fellow student Rachel Bookbinder. “And then we all realize that’s his phone that combusted in the middle of class.”

An Apple representative said the company was investigating the incident, WCBS reported.

Oddly, Hlavaty said the phone was turned off and its battery was dead.

Read: Watch This U.S. Marshal Smash a Woman's Phone While She Records an Arrest

“I’ve had it for about six months,” he said. “The only thing that was wrong with it was a simple crack, but I don’t see a simple crack causing it to blow up in my pocket.”

In September, Samsung suspended sales of their new Galaxy Note 7 after receiving several reports of the smart phone catching fire. A recall notice was also issued for the devices.   

Watch: 6-Year-Old Boy Suffers First-Degree Burns in Samsung Cell Phone Explosion