Urgent Careless: Mom and Baby Left Alone in Medical Facility After It Closes
When a Washington state mother took her sick infant to an urgent care center, she wasn’t expecting them to get locked inside alone.
Savannah Thomsen’s 4-month-old Kason was admitted to the MultiCare Puyallup Urgent Care Thursday just after 6 p.m. when she said he was showing virus-like symptoms.
Thomsen said she waited an hour before a nurse checked them in and took her son’s vitals in one of the rooms.
“She said it would be ten minutes or so,” Thomsen told InsideEdition.com. “I changed his diaper and gave him a bottle. I looked at the clock, it was 30 minutes later.”
At about 7:30 p.m., Thompson poked her head out to call on a nurse to see what was taking so long, only to find the place was deserted.
They had closed and everyone had gone home.
“I realized it was dark in the office. I grabbed my son and walked through the building saying hello,” Thomsen said. “I broke down crying and called my mom-in-law.”
Thomsen tripped an alarm and ran into a housekeeping worker who let her outside. Thomsen said security met her and apologized for what happened.
“It was terrifying just to know you are alone in there. My son was having trouble breathing. What if I was back there and he would’ve stopped breathing? No one was there. It angered me. I’ve worked in the nursing field and how do you forget about a patient?"
MultiCare apologized about the incident in a statement to KOMO News.
“While it is clear from the facts known at this time that routine protocols were not followed during the clinic closing process, we will be conducting a thorough investigation to determine why those protocols were skipped as the clinic closed for the evening.”
The company also said they added a protocol that every room and door must be checked immediately before leaving the clinic.
While Thomsen said she’s not mad at the organization as a whole, which she’s been visiting for several years, she said the act was negligent on the part of the nurse.
“I hope they will tighten up there and it won’t happen again,” she said.