Donald Trump and his family emerged from Trump Tower Tuesday night for dinner a few blocks away at the 21 Club without a caravan of journalists letting the public know about the president-elect’s whereabouts.
The family dinner was Trump's first public outing since the patriarch won the election last week.
The departure was a big break from traditional presidential protocol, because Trump ditched his press entourage. His press secretary had even thrown off reporters about an hour earlier, saying that the future president would be staying at Trump Tower for the rest of the evening.
The “lid” was issued to the press after 6 p.m. At 7, the family departed to the opulent 21 Club.
Trump was cheered by a ritzy crowd as he entered the Manhattan establishment for the surprise dinner Tuesday night. When he walked in, he told the wealthy crowd: "We will get your taxes down, don't you worry."
The president-elect and his family arrived at the famous restaurant just four blocks from Trump Tower in a long motorcade that featured 12 vehicles.
The press discovered his whereabouts after some followed the motorcade and patrons inside posted photos of the Trumps on social media.
Taylor Riggs, who was inside the venue at the time, erroneously reported that Trump was at Keens Steakhouse. She later clarified her mistake.
twitter--clarifying it wasn't Keens. location mistake. it was a private dinner with coworkers! https://t.co/au7rrmvNfP— Taylor Riggs (@RiggsReport) November 16, 2016
The press took photos as he left the venue but were not allowed inside.
Michele Sherman was having dinner at the restaurant when in walked the Trumps.
She told Inside Edition: "The tipoff should have been the security. When we walked up to the restaurant it was unbelievable. They made us open our coats, they had to check my handbag and I thought, ‘gee, I wonder who is here?’”
The soon-to-be 45th president enjoyed the $36 "21 burger,” served with fries. He washed it down with a virgin bloody mary.
Earlier in the night, Trump took to his favorite social media platform and tweeted that only he knows who his cabinet will be, following reports of names like Rudy Giuliani, John Bolton and Laura Ingraham thrown in the mix.
Very organized process taking place as I decide on Cabinet and many other positions. I am the only one who knows who the finalists are!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 16, 2016
On Wednesday morning, he did not comment on the 21 Club situation. However, he did lash out at The New York Times for reporting his transition team is in disarray.
The failing @nytimes story is so totally wrong on transition. It is going so smoothly. Also, I have spoken to many foreign leaders.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 16, 2016
I have recieved and taken calls from many foreign leaders despite what the failing @nytimes said. Russia, U.K., China, Saudi Arabia, Japan,— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 16, 2016
Australia, New Zealand, and more. I am always available to them. @nytimes is just upset that they looked like fools in their coverage of me.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 16, 2016