When a fire broke out in a Philadelphia home in the middle of the night, it was the family pet that saved the day.
Two-year-old Jack, a German shepherd-pit bull mix, is being hailed a hero after all seven people in the home made it out safely when the blaze broke out at 3:30 a.m. Wednesday.
"When we got on scene, the first thing the family said to us was, 'Jack saved our lives. If it wasn't for him, we wouldn't be alive right now,'" Jen Leary of Red Paw Emergency Relief Team told InsideEdition.com.
A fire had broken out in the back bedroom of the second floor while seven members of the family, including three young children, were sound asleep.
"[Jack] started licking his owner's face and barking," Leary said. "That's what woke him up and alerted him to the fire."
Homeowner Aubrey Lomax Jr. then woke up the rest of his family, and evacuated them from the house.
They then called the fire department, who credited their success in containing the damage to the family's quick response.
One of the two cats also living at the house died in the fire, but the other cat made it out safely.
Both the surviving cat and Jack are staying at the Red Paws shelter temporarily as the family looks for a new place to stay.
"They're extremely lucky," Leary said. "He really did save their lives."