Goat Gifted to 10-Year-Old As Early Birthday Present Saves Family From House Fire

Playing 10-Year-Old Girl Wakes Up To Pet Goat Warning Her of House Fire

A goat became the unlikely hero for this Arkansas family when he saved them from a devastating house fire.

Read: Jake the Pitbull Becomes Honorary Firefighter After He's Rescued From a Devastating Fire

10-year-old Abigail Bruce of Poinsett County was asleep in the living room Saturday night when the family’s pet goat, Speedy, started bleating loudly and jumping on her legs and chest.

When Abigail woke up, all she could see was smoke, according to WREG.

She then dashed into her parents’ room, and alerted them to smoke that was filling up inside the home.

Her dad, Nick Bruce, then realized the flames were coming from the garage, and the smoke and fire was coming through the windows.

The family was able to escape through the bedroom window.

When the fire department later arrived to the scene, they were able to put out the fire but all of the family’s belongings were damaged by smoke.

But, Abigail and her parents were unscathed, thanks to the goat that joined their family two days ago as an early birthday gift.

Read: Passerby Can't Believe It When He Sees a Goat Behind the Wheel of a Car

She guessed her goat might have panicked because he was having a hard time breathing, and woke her in the process.

"I didn't approve of him at first,” Bruce admitted. "But he’ll be here from now on.”

Officials believed the cause of the fire was an electrical problem.

Watch: Goat and UPS Driver Form Unlikely Friendship: 'She Is Always Around for a Great Laugh'