Latest News
Headlines

Teen Collapses and Dies After Drinking Soda, Coffee and Energy Drink

Playing Teen Collapses and Dies After Drinking Soda, Coffee and Energy Drink

A South Carolina 16-year-old died of a caffeine overdose after drinking coffee, soda and an energy drink within a two-hour period, according to authorities.

Davis Allen Cripe reportedly collapsed in his high school classroom and died last month after the abundance of caffeine in his system caused a heart arrhythmia.

Read: Does Coffee Really Stunt Your Growth? Examining Common Medical Myths

“On this particular day within the two hours prior to his death, we know had consumed a large diet Mountain Dew, a cafe latte from McDonald's and also some type of energy drink," Richland County Coroner Gary Watts said in a press conference. “We lost Davis from a totally legal substance. These drinks can be very dangerous."

Watts also said there was no evidence of an undiagnosed heart condition.

The recommended dosage of caffeine per day is 400 mg. Symptoms of a caffeine overdose can include dizziness and increased thirst, according to medical professionals. Large amounts of caffeine can be deadly.

Read: Does Coffee Really Stunt Your Growth? Examining Common Medical Myths

Cripe’s dad, Sean, urged other parents during the press conference to speak with their kids about the dangers of energy drinks.

"It wasn't a car crash that took his life. Instead, it was an energy drink," he said. "Parents, please talk to your kids about these energy drinks. And teenagers and students, please stop buying them."

Watch: Llama on the Loose in Small Town Stops for Coffee and a Doughnut

Share Share on Facebook Tweet Share on Twitter
Receive Breaking News

By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

Your e-mail was submitted successfully.
Sorry, your email address was not processed. Please try again.
Around the Web
Comments