Paralyzed Police Officer Gets Married in His Hospital Bed After Waking Up From a Coma

Omar Elhosseiny couldn't speak but he was able to mouth "I love you" to his new bride.

Omar Elhosseiny couldn’t speak but was able to mouth “I love you” to his new bride from his hospital bed.

The California couple was supposed to marry on July 10, but the wedding was canceled when Elhosseiny's health suddenly deteriorated.

Read: See Bedridden Grandma's Joy After Newlywed Grandson and His Bride Visit Her After Ceremony

On June 29, Elhosseiny, a Pasadena police officer, was rushed to the Methodist Hospital of Southern California in Arcadia where doctors diagnosed him with Guillain-Barré syndrome, a rare condition that caused almost full-body paralysis. The 26-year-old was put into a medically induced coma for weeks.

When he finally woke up, he was eager to tie the knot with the love of his life, Osiris Negrete.

“Last couple of weeks he regained some of his functionally,” said Lt. Vasken Gourdikian, a Pasadena Police spokesperson.

Hospital staff, including nurse Michelle Vasquez, helped plan the big day.

“We came in early and decorated the conference room as the reception,” Vasquez told “I brought the wedding cake.”

Dressed in a white shirt and jeans, Negrete, 23, held a small bouquet as she stood next to Elhosseiny.

"It was heartfelt," Vasquez said. "She was holding his hand. You could feel the emotion in the room and everyone tear up. Omar just looked at her, she looked at him and to them it didn’t seem like anyone else was there.”

Elhosseiny came to the U.S. with his family when he was 10 and becoming a police officer was part of his American dream. As a teenager, he started as a police cadet working part-time in the records department, Gourdikian said. He was eventually promoted to full-time officer. That’s where he met Negrete, a dispatcher for the department.

“They fell in love,” Gourdikian explained.

Read: Daughter Arranges Rushed Wedding in Hospital Room to Include Dad on Life Support

The Pasadena Police Officers Association organized a Gofundme page to help offset Elhosseiny’s medical costs.

“We are heartbroken to see Omar's promising future so tragically interrupted and want to do everything we can to help him and his family get through this crisis,” the page reads. “Omar dedicated his professional life to serving his community, and now we are asking that the community offer him and his family support during this exceedingly difficult time.”

Following the wedding, Omar was transferred to a rehabilitation hospital where his recovery is improving. He was taken off his breathing tube on Aug. 1, a major step toward recovery.

“A wedding is a special moment to be shared. For them to miss their original wedding day and then to have this – it did help,” Vasquez said.

Watch: These Grandparents' Anniversary Photo Shoot Will Melt Your Heart