Pills Found in Prince's Paisley Park Compound Mislabeled, Contained Dangerous Narcotic: Reports

Fentanyl was the same drug found in the music legend's system at the time of his death.

Pills found inside Prince’s Minnesota compound had been mislabeled, according to investigators.

Reports indicate that bottles labeled hydrocodone actually contained fentanyl – the dangerous drug that was found inside the iconic musician’s system when he died.

Read: After Pharmacist Gave Boy Wrong Dosage, Killing Him, Other Parents Say It Happened to Their Kids Too

The Minneapolis Star Tribune published the report after being tipped by a source close to the investigation. They said that the pills were seized by investigators from Paisley Park, the singer's sprawling estate.

The revelation indicates that either the pills were mislabeled by a pharmaceutical manufacturer or they were illegally made and unlawfully purchased.

Prince weighed just 112 pounds at the time of his death.

He “had so much of the drug in his system, autopsy results later showed, that it would have killed anyone, regardless of size," a source told the Star Tribune.

The “Purple Rain” singer did not have a prescription for fentanyl, according to the Star Tribune. Investigators believe the 57-year-old icon took the pills and did not realize they were fentanyl, an opioid that carries a high risk of addiction and can lead to death if mixed with other substances, including alcohol.

The "Little Red Corvette" singer was found dead in an elevator inside his compound on April 21. An autopsy report released in June said that he died of an accidental overdose of fentanyl. The report did not indicate how he obtained the powerful painkiller which is said to be 100 times stronger than morphine.

Read: Protegee Reveals What Happened Inside Private Plane Where Prince Collapsed 6 Days Before His Death

Prince died less than a week after he was treated for an opioid overdose when his private plane was forced to make an emergency landing in Illinois following a concert in Georgia. He was revived after being given 2 shots of Narcan.

Doctors advised “The Future” singer to stay in the hospital for 24 hours but he left after only three.

According to reports at the time of his death, Prince was taking the painkillers for a hip problem. The singer had hip surgery in 2010.

Watch: Here's Why Police Were Called To Prince's Compound 46 Times in 5 Years