Teenager Reportedly Wakes Up En Route to His Own Funeral
The teen was believed dead after suffering infection from dog bite.
What a rude awakening.
A 17-year-old boy reportedly came to while he was being transported to his own funeral, authorities said.
The teenager was rushed to a hospital after regaining consciousness just before the ceremony started in the Indian state of Karnataka, the Times of India reported Monday.
He is listed in critical condition.
Kumar Marewad had been bitten by a stray dog last month and developed a high fever, according to the report. His condition worsened and physicians placed him on a ventilator, police said.
Medical staff told his family the infection had spread throughout his body and the boy would not be able to survive with being attached to a respirator. Doctors asked the parents if they wanted to keep their son on the machine.
The family decided to take the boy home. When the ventilator was removed, the teenager reportedly seemed motionless and appeared to have stopped breathing.
His parents were headed to their son's cremation ceremony when he suddenly opened his eyes and began breathing hard, the paper reported.
He was immediately rushed back to the hospital, where he was again placed on a respirator.
Doctors reportedly said he is suffering meningoencephalitis, a viral infection, caused by the dog bite.
Trending on Inside Edition
Man Finds Brother's Letterman Jacket Their Mom Couldn’t Afford in a Thrift Store 28 Years LaterInspirational
This Holiday Season Airbnb Is Offering You a Chance to Stay in the Original 'Home Alone' HouseEntertainment
Silence Surrounds Alleged Videotaped Sexual Assault of Boy From Louisville Private School Months AgoCrime
'West Side Story' Generates Early Oscar Buzz as Reboot of Beloved Film and Play Hits the Silver ScreenEntertainment
Man Exonerated of Alice Sebold’s Rape Says as She Addresses Her Role in His Conviction: 'I Accept Her Apology'Crime