Retracing Ebola Doc's Every Move in New York City

Medical detectives are retracing every step Dr. Craig Spencer took in New York City, searching for anyone who may have come in close contact with the city's first Ebola patient. INSIDE EDITION reports.

There's anger and concern today over the young doctor who roamed the crowded streets of New York City not realizing he was coming down with Ebola.

Thirty-three-year-old Dr. Craig Spencer was rushed to Bellevue Hospital by paramedics in full hazmat gear. His fiancée, Morgan Dixon, is also in quarantine.

Now, Twitter is erupting with criticism of Dr. Spencer. 

One person tweeted: "A doctor who has worked with Ebola returns home, to a huge city and doesn't self quarantine...Are all doctors idiots?"

Donald Trump tweeted the doctor was "reckless."

On Fox News Megyn Kelly told viewers, "This sounds irresponsible. You tell me if I'm wrong."

But New York Governor Andrew Cuomo is defending the doctor today.

On the Today show, Matt Lauer asked, "Do you think this doctor acted responsibly?"

"He obviously felt he wasn't symptomatic and he knew that was the only time he was contagious," replied Cuomo.

Dr. Spencer roamed the city for six days since his return from the African nation of Guinea. Now, medical detectives are desperately searching for everyone he came in close contact with.  

Here's a timeline of Dr. Spencer's known movements:

October 21: He visits the High Line Park on Manhattan's West Side and eats at a popular restaurant called The Meatball Shop on Greenwich Avenue.

October 22: Dr. Spencer feels somewhat fatigued, but he's able to go for a three-mile run in his Manhattan neighborhood.

That night he goes bowling in Brooklyn and rides on three crowded subways lines: the A, the L and the No. 1.

What is most worrisome to the tens of thousands of New Yorkers who ride the subway is, can you catch Ebola on a subway train? What if he sneezed? What if he coughed? What if he simply touched the metal handrail?

ABC News Chief Health and Medical Editor Dr. Richard Besser told INSIDE EDITION, "You can only get Ebola on the subway if someone who was very, very, sick with Ebola throws up and you come in contact with that and get that into your eyes, your nose, your mouth."

Some subway riders are taking no chances, wearing surgical masks to ride to work.

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio rode the subway himself today, posting photos to reassure everyone it's safe.  

Dr. Spencer went bowling in Brooklyn at a place called The Gutter, and it was closed for decontamination.

Could he actually pose a risk to other bowlers? INSIDE EDITION's Steven Fabian asked CBS Chief Medical correspondent Dr. Jon LaPook.

"He puts his fingers into a bowling ball, he's sweaty. Someone else uses that bowling ball and they have a cut on his or her finger, is that a cause for concern?" asked Fabian.

Dr. LaPook replied, "That type of spread, if it occurred over the last 40 years, we should have known about it by now."

On Wednesday night, Dr. Spencer called for a ride via the Uber car service. He heads home. The driver of that vehicle is now in isolation.

Thursday, 10:00 a.m., Dr. Spencer experiences a fever of 100.3 degrees. He contacts health officials.

He is being treated today where INSIDE EDITION cameras were recently allowed into a special Ebola isolation unit at Bellevue Hospital. Nurses and doctors wear a full bodysuit covered by a gown. The suit is waterproof and the goggles are airtight.

Security is now heightened around Dr. Spencer's apartment building and it was being decontaminated today by the same team that recently decontaminated a house on Long Island. The front door of his apartment is decorated with skulls for Halloween.

Everyone is on full alert.

But there's puzzlement over the sight of New York City cops leaving the Ebola doctor's apartment and dumping their protective gloves and masks in an open sidewalk trash can.

A police spokesman said: "At no time did the officers come in contact with the male patient or enter the apartment building."

Mayor Bill de Blasio appealed for calm today, saying at a press conference, "There is no cause for alarm."

Dr. Spencer was reportedly told by Doctors Without Borders that there was no reason to self-quarantine after returning from West Africa.