The mother and father of Lesandro "Junior" Guzman-Feliz sat in court Monday as seven of eight men accused of stabbing the 15-year-old to death on a Bronx sidewalk — a horrific slaying captured on camera — appeared before a judge.
Junior’s mom, Leandra Feliz, is sticking to her pledge of attending every single court hearing.
"Justice is coming," the grieving mother previously told the New York Post.
During the Monday indictment hearing, a defense lawyer for suspect Antonio Hernandez-Santiago compared the group to the "Central Park Five," saying he was trying to avoid a similar media frenzy while discussing media applications, the New York Daily News reported.
“Not so long ago in this city, the media latched onto individuals [who] were accused of horrific crimes," the attorney, Patrick Joyce said. “A private citizen said they are guilty, they should get the death penalty ... when no one knew what really happened."
The Central Park five, who were accused of the rape and assault of a woman jogging in Central Park in 1989, were imprisoned and served jail time before another prisoner confessed to the crime years later and their convictions were vacated.
Kevin Alvarez, 19, Elvin Garcia, 23, Jose Muniz, 21, Jose Tavarez, 21, Jonaiki Martinez-Estrella, 24, Daniel Fernandez, 21, Manuel Rivera, 18, and Antonio Hernandez-Santiago, 24, face murder charges, among many others, after the Guzman-Feliz murder.
Police suspect they are members of a local gang, the Trinitarios, and said they allegedly stabbed Junior in a case of mistaken identity.
Jonaiki Martinez-Estrella’s attorney, Kyle Watters, also reportedly complained about media coverage and attempts by reporters to interview the suspects.
"They should stay away from my client," he said. "Unless, at some point in the future, I decide it’s appropriate."
Garcia did not appear in court as he is undergoing surgery on his left hand, his lawyer, Steven Kaiser, told reporters.
The eight suspects have pleaded not guilty to the charges they face, according to Newsweek.