Star Wars Fan is Granted His Dying Wish to See Movie Early
Daniel Fleetwood's wife, Ashley, shared the news on Facebook that Disney had allowed Daniel to see the film.
She wrote: “Today the wonderful Disney, Bad Robot and Lucasfilm teams made his final dream come true, Daniel just finished watching an unfinished version of Star Wars: The Force Awakens!!!”
The 31-year-old is suffering from a rare form of connective tissue cancer called spindle cell sarcoma. He has outlived the prognosis of one to two months, which he was given in September.
He was first diagnosed two years ago and his lungs are now 90 percent full of tumors.
He had doubted he would live to see the opening of The Force Awakens, so an online campaign called #ForceForDaniel popped up to help spread the word and convince Disney, the studio behind the film, to hold a special screening for him.
Stars of the franchise like Mark Hammill, Carrie Fisher John Boyega, Peter Mayhew and Bad Robot, Star Wars director J.J. Abrams’ production company, endorsed the campaign so Daniel can see the latest chapter in the popular sci-fi saga.
Luke Skywalker himself, Mark Hammill, said he is “elated” that Daniel was able to see the latest installment.
I just read this and am elated for Daniel & his family! Thanks to the powers-that-be for making his dream come true. https://t.co/ImiAdyBxf8— Mark Hamill (@HamillHimself) November 5, 2015
Earlier in the week, Ashley told INSIDE EDITION via email that she "can't even wrap my head around" the celebrity endorsements. She said "it is amazing" and they are "grateful" for the support.
While everyday past the prognosis is a gift, "he hurts but is also excited about the love from everyone," she said.