Bruce Jenner Confirms Gender Transition: For All Intents and Purposes, I Am a Woman
Bruce Jenner confirms gender transition during interview with Diane Sawyer.
Five minutes into Bruce Jenner’s highly anticipated interview with Diane Sawyer, Jenner finally put years of speculation to rest with one sentence: “Yes, for all intents and purposes,” he says, “I am a woman.”
Jenner was candid while answering questions about his life that those less familiar with transgender issues may have, but Jenner was clear to point out that he is not a spokesman for all transgender people.
Among stories of Jenner’s childhood, Olympic years, family life, and transition, Jenner clarified the following details:
- Jenner does identify as a woman, but has not taken a new name and is not currently using female pronouns to refer to himself.
- Jenner does not like the term “girl stuck in a guy’s body,” and tells Sawyer, “I’m not stuck in anyone’s body. It’s just who I am.”
- Jenner currently has “all the male parts.”
- Jenner is not gay. When asked if he was gay, Bruce replied, “No, I'm not gay… I am as far as I know, heterosexual… I’ve never been with a guy.”
- Jenner is not a lesbian. While Jenner has been attracted to women, Bruce does not consider himself to be a lesbian.
- Jenner describes himself as “asexual for now.”
- Jenner went out in public as a woman without anyone knowing. Jenner also says men approached him one night while he was dressed as a woman at the Opryland hotel in Nashville.
- Jenner has not yet finalized a decision on gender reassignment surgery. “(That) would be way down the line.”
- Jenner’s gender transition is not a stunt. When Sawyer pointed out some skeptics may think this was all a story line or promotion for “Keeping Up with the Kardashians,” Jenner laughed it off, saying, “Oh no! We would never do that Diane! Are you telling me that I’m going through a complete gender change, and… going through everything you need to do for the show? Sorry, Diane. It ain’t happening.”
- Jenner does see the benefit of being in the spotlight. When asked about the connection to the Kardashian shows, Jenner said, “What I am doing -- is going to do some good, and we're going to change the world. I really firmly believe that. That we are going to make a difference in the world with what we're doing. And if the whole Kardashian show and reality television gave me that foothold into that world, to be able to go out and do something good, I am all for it. I have no problem with that.”
Jenner once considered suicide. After paparazzi photographed him outside an appointment for a procedure to reduce the size and appearance of his Adam’s apple, Bruce says he thought, “Wouldn’t the easiest thing be to go in the room, get a gun, boom. It’s over.”
Throughout the interview, Jenner showed a range of emotions, but was quick to point out, “One thing that is important through this whole process is that we have to keep our sense of humor about this. It's actually pretty funny, me of all people, Bruce Jenner... you know, has to deal with these issues, literally running away from all this stuff.”
Jenner’s outlook remains bright, as he told Sawyer, “If this is the only problem I have in life.. I got it made. If its only this I will be okay,” adding, “I got my health, I got my children , I got my family, I got seven grandkids now. I am actually really excited about the future about what I could do. To be able to do some real good in the world.”
See how the Jenner family and all of America prepared for Bruce's big interivew in the video below.
Trending on Inside Edition
NHL Star and His Brother Accused of Raping College Student in LawsuitCrime
Why Do More People Seem to Be Getting Sick This Flu Season?Health
Tips for Leaving Creepy Crawlies at the Christmas Tree FarmOffbeat
Alex Murdaugh Sentenced to 27 Years in Plea Deal After Admitting to 22 Financial CrimesCrime
A Toy Story: How the Hess Truck Became a Holiday Staple and Conjures Up Childhood Nostalgia for SomeOffbeat
Riley Keough Gets $7.5M From Lisa Marie Trust, Pays Priscilla $2.35M to be Sole Trustee of Estate: SettlementEntertainment