The Sailor Who Apologized to Iranians is Identified as 27-Year-Old Navy Lieutenant
Lt. David Nartker is under fire after the Iranians released footage of the apology.
The young Navy lieutenant who apologized to the Iranians after U.S. boats entered Iran’s territory has been identified as Lt. David Nartker.
The 27-year-old grew up in Chicago and now lives in Ohio. Videos on his Facebook page show him firing weapons.
Nartker was among the 10 U.S. sailors who were captured by Iran earlier this week. The sailors were later released.
But he found himself at the center of an international uproar after Iran released footage showing an interrogator haranguing him about being in Iranian waters.
“It was a mistake,” Nartker is heard responding. “It was our fault and we apologize for our mistake.”
On Sean Hannity's show on Fox on Wednesday, there were questions over whether the apology could be a violation of the U.S. Military code of conduct.
But former Navy SEAL Chris Heban told INSIDE EDITION: "It is quite possible they were coerced or threatened into an apology. It certainly doesn't make us look good."
The Iranians also released images of his crew kneeling in submission with their hands locked behind their heads. A female sailor was forced to cover her head in keeping with Muslim law.
Senator John McCain, who lived through six years of torture as a P.O.W. in Vietnam, did not hide his anger at the “humiliating” incident.
“This is one hell of a propaganda coup,” he said.
On Thursday, Secretary of Defense Ashton B. Carter said the two U.S. Navy boats went off course because of a navigation error.
Trending on Inside Edition
Mom of 2-Year-Old Attacked by Coyote in Huntington Beach Plans to Sue City Over Toddler's InjuriesAnimals
Woman Paralyzed by Classmate in 1997 Paducah School Shooting Speaks Out as Convicted Gunman Seeks ParoleCrime
Urn Containing Human Remains Found on South Carolina Shore, an Increasing Problem for the Coroners OfficeHuman Interest
Missing Georgia Mother Found Dead in the Woods Naked and With Charring on her StomachCrime
Route 91 Harvest Festival Massacre Survivor Is Still on the Road to Recovery 5 Years After Being Shot 3 TimesINSIDE EDITION InDepth