Man Hospitalized After E-Cigarette Explodes in His Pocket

Footage shows Josh Hamilton trying to pull off his pants after the flames erupt.

Surveillance footage captured the moment a man's pants exploded when an e-cigarette in his pocket suddenly burst into flames.

The footage shows Josh Hamilton, who had been buying snacks at a gas station in Kentucky, scrambling outside and desperately trying to pull off his pants.

Read: Hoverboard Sparks Fire And Burns Down Family's Mansion

A customer helped him pull off the pants, while a gas station employee, Jassie Singh, doused him with a fire extinguisher.

"I was like, 'did you have a bomb in your pocket?'" an employee said. "What happened?'"

It emerged that the e-cigarette's battery blew up.

The freak fire left Hamilton, from Owensboro, injured and hospitalized with second-degree burns. He posted a photograph of his badly burned leg to Facebook - and apologized for how gruesome it looks.

"I can't even look at it without getting a little sick myself," he said

He added that the e-cig "got me good!"

Read: Man Left in Coma After E-Cigarette Explosion Warns: 'These Things Are Deadly'

"It was like I had one of those fountain type fireworks going off in my pocket," he wrote. "Sparks were flying everywhere and I had to ditch the pants in the middle of a crowded gas station."

This is not the first incident of its kind.

Last year, 21-year-old Evan Spahlinger was left in a coma after an e-cigarette blew up in his face.

“These things are deadly,” Spahlinger, who is now recovering, told INSIDE EDITION. “I thought I was gonna die.”

Experts offer tips for staying safe while using e-cigarettes:

- Avoid counterfeit brands
- Only use the power charge that came with the battery
- Do not over-charge the battery
- Never plug it into a computer

Watch: American Couple Captures Terrifying Escape After Explosion in China