Man Miraculously Survives Skydiving Accident After Beating Cancer

Cody Swenson, 25, beat the odds twice. "I am very lucky to be alive," he said.

A Texas man miraculously survived a skydiving accident, just years after beating a close call with cancer.

Cody Swenson, 25, is a skydiving instructor with 1,700 jumps under his belt, so leaping from an airplane is normal for him. But in early February, a routine dive suddenly went awry.

Read: Hundreds of Strangers Celebrate Terminally Ill Boy's 10th Birthday

He told that he was attempting to do a "Hop-n-Pop," in which a skydiver jumps from a much lower altitude and must pull the parachute within seconds of exiting the plane.

"I didn't notice something was wrong until about two seconds from impact," he said. "I was thinking, 'Man, this is going to be a nice swoop,' [then I realized] 'I really messed up good this time.'"

Swenson hit the ground at approximately 60MPH, and immediately knew he broke his femur when he bounced off the ground.

"Then, I realized I was [still] tumbling through the air after I hit, and I had to keep flying my parachute as best as possible," Swenson said. "When people stop flying their parachute after an impact, they usually die on the second impact."

Swenson, who was conscious through it all, was rushed to the hospital, where doctors had to insert screws and rods into his broken femur and pelvis.

But Swenson is all too familiar with surgical implants.

When was 17, he was diagnosed with Ewings Sarcoma, a rare bone cancer. He underwent chemotherapy before surgeons removed the tumor in his spine, and replaced it with rods, screws, and part of a new rib cage.

When he was declared cancer-free in 2009, his outlook on life was changed.

"Cody wanted to feel free, to live life to the fullest, to experience what most of us are afraid too and never have a regret if the cancer should return,"  his GoFundMe page writes.

Read: 'Hot Convict' Jeremy Meeks Is Released From Prison, Eyes Modeling Career

And now, after having survived the skydiving accident, Swenson has beat the odds twice.

"I am very lucky to be alive," he told "There must be a purpose for me being here."

He is now recovering at home, with four weeks left until doctors say he can begin to put weight on his legs. Swenson, who is unable to work, is also asking friends and family to support his living expenses by donating to his GoFundMe page. 

Swenson adds that he appreciates the support from his family and Skydive Dallas through his recovery.

Watch: Freshman Invites Younger Sister With Terminal Cancer to His First High School Formal