Authorities Release Brussels Suspect Due To 'Lack of Evidence'
Faycal Cheffou was arrested by authorities last week.
A suspect who was taken into custody in Belgium last week was released on Monday for "lack of evidence" connecting him to the terror attacks, authorities said.
Faycal Cheffou, a freelance journalist, was arrested on Thursday night outside the federal prosecutor’s office, authorities announced on Saturday.
But he was released on Monday.
"The indications that led to the arrest of Faycal C. were not substantiated by the ongoing inquiry," the Belgian federal prosecutor's office said in a statement. "As a result, the subject has been released by the examining magistrate."
It came just hours after new video was released showing one of the men wanted in connection with the terror attack.
The man, who was one of three men seen calmly pushing carts in the airport last Tuesday, survived the blasts while his two accomplices died. He remains at large after his own bomb did not detonate for reasons not yet clear.
According to reports, several suspects remained in custody after a spree of searches carried out over the weekend in Belgium, Italy and the Netherlands. Three people were charged with terror offenses though it was not explicitly clear if they were linked to any particular attack.
The death toll to last week’s attacks climbed to 35 after more victims succumbed to injuries sustained in the blasts. Four Americans were among the dead.
Trending on Inside Edition
Video Shows Pandemonium as Storm Knocks Down Tent, Injuring Guests at Atlanta WeddingNews
Mystery as 4 Friends Found Shot to Death in Wisconsin Cornfield, Police Have Scant Leads and No MotiveCrime
Inside Edition Investigates if NYC Restaurants Are Checking if Indoor Diners Are Vaccinated as Per New RuleInvestigative
Dog the Bounty Hunter’s Daughters Say They Were Cut Out of Their Dad's Life After Mom's DeathEntertainment
Gabby Petito in Tears After Aug. 12 Fight With Boyfriend in Utah, Bodycam Video ShowsCrime