'Barefoot Bandit' Wants to Freeze His Dying Mom: 'She Won't Be Alive When I Get Out'

Colton Harris-Moore, who wants to raise $250,000, spoke to INSIDE EDITION from prison.

The notorious “Barefoot Bandit,” Colton Harris-Moore, was a teen when he left his signature chalk footprints at his crime scenes.

Read: Federal Agents Arrest the Brother of San Bernardino Terrorist Syed Rizwan Farook

Now the 25-year-old’s larger-than-life story has taken another turn.

As Harris-Moore spoke to IE by phone from prison in Washington state, he revealed that he wants to have his dying mom cryogenically frozen.

He said his mother, Pamela Kohler, has terminal lung cancer.

“We're not talking about a garage freezer here," he said. "It's a multi-week process to bring somebody down to minus 196 degrees Celsius and they can remain at that temperature indefinitely -- for thousands of years. If we are able to cryopreserve her, we will revive her."

He has started a GoFundMe page to raise $250,000 to freeze her.

“You can hear the life leaving her body. I have pretty much come to the realization that she's not gonna be alive when I get out,” Harris-Moore said. "This is my only hope, the doctors have completely given up on her." 

He says he wants the cryogenic preservation to take place at the Alcor Life Extension Foundation in Scottsdale, Arizona, the same facility where baseball legend Ted Williams is preserved.

Businessman Jonathan Standridge has taken on the role of mentor to the “Barefoot Bandit.”

He says the young man is genuine in his desire to cryopreserve his ailing mom.

Read: Cops: Male Employee Found Dead in Conference Room of Apple Headquarters

“It is a long shot,” he said. “The least bit of hope, as long as it is there, he is not gonna give up.”

Six years ago, Harris-Moore’s one-man crime wave made him a national sensation. He broke into at least 100 homes and businesses, thumbing his nose at the law by leaving behind his calling card: chalk-outlined footprints.

Harris-Moore even flew a stolen $600,000 plane before crash-landing in a swamp in the Bahamas.

"I was responsible for many high dollar crimes," he said. 

He was finally caught when cops shot out the engine of a boat he hijacked in 2010.

Harris-Moore gets out of jail later this year.

One of the prosecutors who put him behind bars says people thinking of sending him money should take into account he was convicted of theft and burglary.

Watch: Stepmom Charged with Murder for 2-Year-Old Girl's Death From Dehydration