Student Says His iPhone Exploded in Pocket, Then Burst Into Flames: 'It Was Burning My Leg'
The iPhone 6 Plus was in the back pocket of his jeans when it started smoking, the college student said.
A New Jersey college student says he had just sat down in class when he felt a terrible burning sensation and realized his pocket was on fire.
His iPhone 6 Plus, tucked into the back of his jeans, was smoking, “and it was burning my leg,” Darin Hlavaty said. He threw the blistering hot phone to the floor, where it “lit up into flames,” he told WCBS-TV.
His physical science class at Rowan University was evacuated Friday and moved to another room, school officials told ABC News.
“Everyone was kind of like, ‘What is that? What is that?’ said fellow student Rachel Bookbinder. “And then we all realize that’s his phone that combusted in the middle of class.”
An Apple representative said the company was investigating the incident, WCBS reported.
Oddly, Hlavaty said the phone was turned off and its battery was dead.
“I’ve had it for about six months,” he said. “The only thing that was wrong with it was a simple crack, but I don’t see a simple crack causing it to blow up in my pocket.”
In September, Samsung suspended sales of their new Galaxy Note 7 after receiving several reports of the smart phone catching fire. A recall notice was also issued for the devices.
Trending on Inside Edition
Michigan Man Discovers 160 Bowling Balls During Home Renovation ProjectOffbeat
Authorities Probe Whether Beloved Peacock Was Shot to Death by Someone Hired Through Craigslist AdAnimals
2-Year-Old Farm Girl From Ohio Is Constantly Followed by an Army of ChickensAnimals
Samuel Olson Told His Grandma His Dad and Theresa Balboa 'Were Mean.' It Was the Last Time She Saw Him Alive.Crime
Despite New York Times Reporting, Inside Edition Investigation Finds Subway's Tuna Sandwiches Contain TunaInvestigative