12-Week-Old Puppy Swallows 8-Inch Knife and Survives - See the Shocking X-Ray

Emergency surgery saved the poor pup.

Macie, a 12-week-old puppy, has miraculously survived after swallowing an 8-inch knife.

The Staffordshire bull terrier’s owner, Irene Paisley of England, said she knew something was wrong when the dog began making weird noises. 

Read: 3 Dogs With Special Needs Prove They're Tougher Than the Rest in This Year's Puppy Bowl XIII

"Macie was making a squeaking sound — I thought she’d swallowed part of a toy," says Paisley. “Then she was sick, but there was no sign of a toy and she started choking."

Having lost her previous Staffordshire terrier to cancer just two months earlier, Paisley feared the worst.

“I was terrified. Poor Macie was still choking and, by the time we arrived at the vet’s, there was blood coming out of her nose. The loss of our previous dog was still very raw and the thought of losing Macie was devastating,” Paisley said.

After being admitted to the People Dispensary of Sick Animals (PDSA), doctors were shocked to find the giant knife on an x-ray. 

According to the PDSA, the eight-inch knife handle had passed through Macie’s stomach and into her intestines, while the tip of the knife was still in her gullet.

She underwent emergency surgery right away to remove the knife, the organization said. 

"I couldn’t believe it when they said Macie had swallowed a knife. I have no idea where she got hold of it —  she could have pinched it out of the dishwasher — but no-one saw what happened. None of us could sleep that night as we knew Macie might not survive," Paisley said.

Read: Man Arrested for Throwing Puppy Over Animal Control's Fence, Breaking Its Leg

Thankfully, everything went fine and Macie is recovering and healing well “as if nothing had happened."

Doctors said her saving grace was that she swallowed the knife handle first.

“The blade-end would undoubtedly have pierced her organs, likely causing fatal injuries,” said PDSA Vet, Emily Ronald.

Watch: Pitbull Puppy Who Survived Horrific Burns in House Fire Becomes Firefighter