A girl nearly died when a piece of a fidget spinner became lodged in her throat.
One girl nearly died choking on her fidget spinner. Her X-ray shows one of the broken parts stuck in her throat.
Her mother went on Facebook with this warning: "I wish to offer some word of caution for parents. If you have kids (under 8 yr old) keep in mind that these present a potential choking hazard."
Inside Edition went to the Good Housekeeping Institute in New York City to test fidget spinners, and the institute's Chief Technologist, Rachel Rothman, found some of the toys were prone to breaking.
During one of the tests, a fidget spinner was dropped on the floor and one of the tiny ball bearings popped right out — the same part that got stuck in that girl’s throat.
There is a simple test you can do at home with a roll of toilet paper to determine whether something will become a choking hazard.
If a part can fit through the cardboard toilet paper roll, it could be a problem for someone under 3 years old.
The danger hit home for Meaghan Murphy, a mother of three small children. Her 3-year-old son snuck a fidget spinner into his bed.
“He snuck one of these to bed with him and the ball bearing popped out. Thank God nothing bad happened,” she told Inside Edition.