Court Hears Text Messages From Woman Accused of Urging Boyfriend to Kill Himself: 'It's Time, Babe'

Michelle Carter was a 17-year-old high school student when she allegedly encouraged Conrad Roy's suicide.

The startling text messages that allegedly led a Massachusetts teen to commit suicide have been read aloud in court as his then-girlfriend stands trial in his 2014 death. 

Read: Principal's Suicide in School Parking Lot Came Amid Adultery Allegations, Officials Say

Michelle Carter, 20, is accused of involuntary manslaughter for sending her boyfriend Conrad Roy a series of texts when she was 17 years old.

“It's time, babe. You know that,” Carter wrote in one message. “You've gotta do it. You're ready.”

"Okay, I will," he replied. "No more thinking."

"Yes, no more thinking," she added. "You need to just do it. Just park your car and sit there and it will take, like, 20 minutes. It's not a big deal."

The trial is highly unusual, with prosecuting attorneys tasked with proving that her texts resulted in Roy's death.

"The prosecution has to be able to prove that the text messages pushed the victim over the edge in this case or she walks,” Attorney Aron Keller of told Inside Edition. “This case is unique because it attaches a conduct that only involves words. It is not truly conduct.

The 18-year-old's body was found in his grandfather's Ford pickup truck in July 2014, outside Boston. The cause of death was carbon monoxide poising.

According to the prosecutor, Carter wanted people to feel sorry for her, which they say was her motive.

“She asked Conrad in excess of 40 times when he was going to kill himself,” the prosecution said in court.

Defense lawyer Joseph Cataldo disagreed that Carter was responsible, saying Roy “was on this path to take his own life, for years."

Read: When Babies Disappear Without a Trace: 'Until I See a Body, I'm Going to Believe He's Alive'

The young man’s family looked shocked as Carter’s best friend took the stand Wednesday and read a text she sent her moments after Roy ended his life.

“I was talking to him on the phone when he killed himself,” the friend said as she read off the messages. "I heard him crying in pain. I should have known. I should have did something." 

If convicted, Carter faces up to 20 years in prison.

Watch: Authorities Investigate 8-Year-Old Boy's Suicide After Video Shows He Was Bullied Days Earlier: Cops