Mystery Around Commerce Secretary Hit-And-Run Accident in Los Angeles

U.S. Commerce Secretary John Bryson, was cited for felony hit-and-run, when cops found him unconscious behind the wheel of his car after he allegedly hit two cars. INSIDE EDITION explores the mystery around Bryson's accident.

Mystery is swirling over a bizarre hit-and-run accident involving the U.S Commerce Secretary, John Bryson.

Bryson, who was appointed to President Obama's cabinet last year, was cited for felony hit-and-run after the puzzling double incident on Saturday night. 

INSIDE EDITION's Jim Moret asked Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca, "When did you actually realize this was the Commerce Secretary?"

Baca said, "Well, the Commerce Secretary himself, is probably not well known by the deputies, but I certainly know who he is. He is a local figure, a very highly respected man."

The first accident happened at a railroad crossing in Los Angeles at around 5 p.m. Saturday. Cops said a Buick with three men inside was stopped at a barrier to let a train pass. As the men sat in the Buick waiting, Bryson allegedly collided into the rear of the car.

Cops said the Commerce Secretary briefly spoke to the three men, and drove off, and as he did, he rammed into the Buick a second time.

Two of the three men in the Buick say they were hurt in the accident. Cops said the men took off after the Commerce Secretary and called 911 during the chase.

Five minutes later, Bryson allegedly hit another car, this time a Honda. Cops said they found him unconscious at the wheel.

He was taken to the hospital. Commerce Department officials said Monday, Bryson quote "suffered a seizure" and police say alcohol and drugs do not appear to have been involved.

Bryson has now returned to Washington, D.C.

Moret asked Steve Whitmore, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, "Did the Secretary indicate at all whether he has a history of seizures?"

Whitmore said, "Well, I can't get into the specifics of the ivestigation. What I can tell you is that all of that will be answered. But, is it important? That has to be answered."

Both accidents happened Saturday evening as Bryson was spending the weekend at his house in Los Angeles. However, White House officials said they weren't notified until Sunday night.

White House Press Secretary, Jay Carney said, "We are still in the process of gathering information about it. We understand this happened when he was alone, on private time, not with his security detail, he was hospitalized."