Woman Arrested After Airport Applesauce Face-Off

After a woman tried to carry applesauce onto an airplane for her elderly mother. She was arrested by airport security. INSIDE EDITION has the story.

Caught on camera, a face-off over applesauce.

When airline passenger Nadine Hays tried to carry on a cooler filled with applesauce and other goodies for her 93-year-old mother, it ended with her under arrest.

"It was very, very frustrating," Nadine said.

The drama started when Nadine began packing a cooler filled with items including milk, applesauce and soft drinks. She says she called the TSA, telling them she needed to take these items for her frail mother, who was on the flight with her. She says the TSA said no problem. Then Nadine closed up the cooler and headed to the airport.

When Nadine tried to go through security at Burbank Airport in California, her cooler emerges from the x-ray machine. A TSA agent examines the contents and takes the cooler to one side.

As Nadine gets through security, another agent pushes her mother in her wheelchair to the side for personal screening.

"Mom was 93-years-old and she needed to have soft foods. She just could not go through meats, hard meats, like steak, that sort of thing," Nadine said.

The first agent then tells Nadine the items in the cooler can't be taken on the plane.

As the agent goes to walk away with the cooler, Nadine reaches for it and a tug-of-war breaks out.

The police report says Nadine "makes a fist and strikes TSA supervisor."

"At any point did you strike the TSA officer?" INSIDE EDITION asked Nadine.

"I didn't strike, I touched them, but I didn't strike them," Nadine replied.

Finally the agent lets go of the cooler and Nadine heads over to the trashcan and empties the contents of the cooler.  

She walks off with the now-empty ice chest.

Nadine was later handcuffed and charged with misdemeanor battery.

A judge told her the charge will be dismissed if she stays out of trouble for six months.

"If you know that you are in the right, you need to stand up for your rights," Nadine said.

Sadly, since the incident at the airport, Nadine's mother has passed away.