Teen Accuses High School Football Player Of Rape

Questions remain after teen accuses high school football player of rape. INSIDE EDITION speaks to the victim.

Was a pretty cheerleader run out of town and her home burned to the ground because she accused a high school football star of rape?

Charred remains are all that are left of the house where 16-year-old Daisy Coleman and her family used to live in the small town of Maryville, Missouri.

Daisy told INSIDE EDITION, “I honestly did think someone did burn down the house.”

Authorities say faulty electrical wiring caused the fire, but Daisy's mother, Melinda, says she has her doubts.

The ordeal for this family started two years ago, when Daisy was a 14-year-old freshman cheerleader at Maryville High School, home of the Spoofhounds.

She and a 13-year-old friend were having a sleepover at the house that's now a pile of ashes.  

Daisy said, “I began texting with this boy on the football team and he asked me if I wanted to hang out with them.”

Daisy says she went to the home of 17-year-old high school football player Matthew Barnett.  A party was going on in the basement with other student athletes.

She said, “I remember sitting on the couch in the basement living room and them handing me a tall clear glass. That's all I remember.”

Daisy's mom found her the next morning laying in the front yard. She couldn't walk or talk and was dressed only in a T-shirt and sweatpants, no shoes or socks. The temperature outside was 22 degrees, and Daisy's hair was actually frozen to her head.

Barnett was charged with sexual assault, but it was Daisy who was ostracized when she returned to school.  

One student tweeted: "That's what you get for bein a skank."

“I remember I was going to the bathroom and I was in the hallway and one boy who was friends with that football player yelled out "liar!" and ran back into the classroom,” said Daisy.

Several weeks later, the county prosecutor dropped all charges against Barnett, who is from a prominent local family and says the sex was consensual.

The prosecutor tells INSIDE EDITION: "There was insufficient evidence to prove a criminal charge beyond a reasonable doubt."

The sheriff told CNN that Daisy's family stopped cooperating with the investigation.

He said, "The only people's stories who have been inconsistent through this whole thing are the Coleman's. The victims in this case."

But Daisy's mom, a widow, says that's not true. She says she was fired from her job and run out of town. 

“I was afraid for my children's safety,” said Melinda.

Daisy says she's grateful that her story is now being heard outside the small Missouri town where football is king.